The engine fires but the transmission doesn’t shift. The front bumper and headlights are still sitting in the trunk, amongst a few other little bits here and there. But the main point is that the car runs.
So after assessing the ‘to do list’ I first hoped at trying to handle the transmission dilema. After a bit of digging, I had come to the conclusion that in the process of trying to work with the transmission in various states, I may have damaged the Home position locking pin at the transmission. So I disconnected the shifter linkage cables and started work on the transmission at the short shifter arm. Then moved onto the endlinks and so on. After about an hour of working with it, the transmission was shifting smoother than before. At that point, I had nothing else to do but put the rest of the car back together. The impact bar for the bumper, the bumper cover, the headlights, grille and so on. Little by little it was becoming a whole car again. And I was getting a bit excited even more so that there were less and less stray parts left in my garage.
By the time I had gotten everything complete and road-ready it was a little late so it was getting dark. Upon closing my trunk, I noticed one small baggie left over… The gasket that sits between the header and the flex pipe. Dammit… Extra parts! Haha. I figured it wasn’t a huge problem to leave it off at least for the night. My plan would be to later insert it in place the following day.
At that point, I had finally set out for the (re)Maiden voyage. Being ever so careful with shifts and watching my revs. My stereo need not be on as my windows were down and I kept a close ear for anything to go on. Just before getting into traffic, I was made aware of an Oil Pressure Sensor warning, exactly as I had thought. Being that the new motor has a High and Low Pressure sensor and the sensor on the BGP motor was a single pressure sensor, not to mention a different set of connectors all together, I figured the ECU was simply giving a warning to the driver as if there was little or no oil pressure (being that there was no connector to close the loop or get a reading). Once the audible warning passed, I got her out on to the road. Each shift was under 3k rpms. It was painful. All I wanted to do was go to full wide open throttle and hear the motor sing. But for the next 500 or so miles, it was a duty to properly break in the clutch without beating on it.
After I arrive to my destination, I checked the fluids to make sure all was well and thankfully it was. Oil and Coolant levels were just as needed and hadn’t moved in the 5 or so miles traveled. The motor was performing just as it should with no problems or odd noises, outside of a little bit of clutch noise, which was later found out to be normal with an upgraded clutch/flywheel.
Unfortunately during the close of the process, I didnt spend a whole lot of time taking pictures as I was too antsy to get the car running and on the road. However, I find it alright in that sense being that there wasn’t much outside of the previous postings, aside from cosmetic pieces that needed to be affixed.
There are a few more bits and pieces coming along the way to ‘finalize’ the car before cosmetics are started. A new project awaits as a huge, unintended, project comes to a close. It’s an incredible feeling knowing that in a few short weeks, you took a motor out of a car, with no prior knowledge and put a new one in place and had little to no issues thereafter. The process is incredibly intimidating and quite daunting, but I would do it again. There were things that I spent time on, merely by being thorough, that I could have bypassed, as well as parts I could have spared myself in purchasing. But all in all, I’m glad I was able to do it. Its a huge sense of achievement.